Friday, April 18, 2008

I first read of Henri-Cartier Bresson the week he died in the back story of Time Magazine. It talked of his life and the contributions he made to photojournalism. The article also introduced to me the idea of the 'decisive moment' in photography, which has an overwhelming influence on the way I look at, and take photos today.



Above is the photo that was published along with the article. It struck me as a very intriguing and powerful image. At the time I had little concept of what a good photo consisted of, but nevertheless, with the dark blocks in the 'sky' and the fat man in the dark suit lingering ominously over the children in the foreground, I found the photo highly captivating.

Later, I found the documentation of the human condition and the everyday most inspiring. Thus the reason for hauling around over a kilos worth of camera on almost every opportunity I get.

To find those fleeting and non-contrived moments in life, and to capture them so beautifully is truly an amazing art. More than that, the record it leaves behind for humanity and the issues it can bring to surface in a society is both powerful and relevant.

Heres a handpicked selection of Bresson's amazing and pioneering work.










No comments: